Registrants who were deferred in 2020 can register March 1-31 and will receive priority
Registration is now scheduled to begin March 1, 2021, for last year’s deferred riders and non-riders, as well as for 2020 registration-fee donors and GOBA-approved volunteers.
Registration will begin March 15, 2021, for new riders and non-riders (those who were not registered for GOBA 2020 at the time of the cancellation).
We had hoped to see enough progress against the pandemic to begin registering GOBA 2020 deferment holders in January, with the possibility of enrolling new riders in March. But the rollout of COVID vaccinations has been slower than expected, and new variants of the virus have emerged.
GOBA will determine by no later than mid-April whether to proceed with the 2021 tour based on the pandemic situation at the time. Any decision on whether to cancel or scale back GOBA 2021 will be made in accordance with Ohio’s emergency orders on mass gatherings and temporary camping, and in consultation with state and local health departments, our host communities, vendors, volunteers and others. Our utmost priority is the health and safety of everyone on the tour and in the places we visit.
In the meantime, we will proceed cautiously in our planning to hold GOBA 2021 on June 19-26 and in getting prospective participants enrolled.
REGISTRATION FOR 2020 DEFERRED RIDERS AND NON-RIDERS
Deferred registrants from 2020 will receive priority for GOBA 2021 if they sign up between March 1 and March 31, 2021.
GOBA has a database of everyone who paid to register in 2020 and will work to accommodate all 2020 deferral holders (and registration-fee donors) who wish to participate in 2021 — if we’re able to have a GOBA 2021 in the usual format.
Deferral holders who don’t register for GOBA 2021 by March 31, 2021, or who cancel their GOBA 2021 registration by midnight April 30, 2021, for any reason will automatically be deferred again, with the choice of using their deferral in 2022 or 2023 at no additional charge.
The GOBA 2021 order of registration for deferred registrants (and donors) will be based on the date they signed up for the 2020 tour, not the 2021 tour, as long as they sign up by March 31. This seems fair and is intended to keep people from feeling like they need to stampede to register on the first day. We want people to carefully assess the COVID situation and their comfort level with attending bike touring events.
Note that rider numbers on bikes, etc., also will be based on the 2020 signup, with those who originally registered back in November 2019 getting the lowest numbers.
REGISTRATION FOR DONORS
Those who donated their 2020 registration fee to Outdoor Pursuits must pay to register for GOBA 2021 (same price they paid as last year). They will receive the same priority for spots as the deferral holders, and the same order of registration (based on when they signed up for the 2020 tour, not the 2021 tour). Registration for donors will begin March 1, 2021. Donors will be sent special instructions on how to register, and will receive a special perk in gratitude for helping Outdoor Pursuits weather the financial blow from last year’s cancellation!
REGISTRATION FOR VOLUNTEERS
GOBA-approved volunteers and contract staff will receive instructions on how to register free for the 2021 tour, starting March 1.
REGISTRATION FOR NEW RIDERS AND NON-RIDERS
Signup for new riders and non-riders is scheduled to begin March 15, 2021, if space is available. (“New” means anyone who wasn’t registered for GOBA 2020 at the time of the cancellation.)
The number of spaces for new registrants will depend both on how many deferred registrants sign up by March 31 and the attendance capacity for this year’s GOBA, which is yet to be determined. (As of now, the capacity is 10 because of Ohio’s mass gathering restrictions. The number will need to grow considerably for us to have a GOBA.)
If necessary, GOBA may institute a wait-list for new riders and non-riders who wish to be on it.
Add-ons such as apparel, camper services and vehicle passes won’t be available for purchase until March. Some past items, such as indoor gym floor sleeping, might not be offered because of COVID rules. Items that were purchased for GOBA 2020 were refunded to the purchaser’s credit card back in May 2020 and will need to be repurchased for 2021.
Rider No. 32 raffle tickets that were purchased for GOBA 2020 were not refunded, and ticketholders automatically will be entered in this year’s drawing.
Riders who donated to receive a special rider number in 2020 will receive that number in 2021, 2022 or 2023 — whichever year they choose. Prizes for the 2019 song contest, etc. will carry over to 2021, 2022 or 2023.
GOBA 2020 registrants can transfer or sell their deferment to another person for use in 2021, 2022 or 2023 with no processing fee. The original registrant will need to use the online transfer form to notify GOBA of the transfer or sale. The link to the deferment transfer form, which must be completed and submitted by the original deferment holder, can be requested by emailing goba@outdoor-
If the transferee wishes to take part in GOBA 2021, they must register, for free, between March 1 and March 31, 2021, so that GOBA has their information. Once registered, they will have until April 30, 2021, to withdrawal from GOBA 2021 if they wish to have their deferment carry over to 2022 or 2023. If the transferee doesn’t register for GOBA 2021 by March 31, 2021, the deferral will automatically be carried over to 2022 or 2023 at no additional charge.
Please watch your email inbox, goba.com and the GOBA Facebook page for updated information as it becomes available.
Thank you for your support and patience in these unsettled times. We’ll do our best to try to give you a GOBA in 2021 if doing so is safe and feasible!
► Deferred 2020 registrants must sign up March 1-31 in order to use their deferral for free registration in GOBA 2021. They can withdrawal as late as April 30 and save their deferment for 2022 or 2023.
► Deferral holders who don’t sign up during the March 1-31 period will have their deferment automatically transferred to 2022 or 2023.
► Signup for 2020 registration-fee donors also begins March 1.
► Registration for new riders and non-riders will open March 15, but priority will go to 2020 deferral holders and registration-fee donors, based on when they signed up for GOBA 2020 (not GOBA 2021). (“New” means anyone who wasn’t registered for GOBA 2020 at the time of the cancellation.)
► All plans are tentative — contingent on the pandemic and whether GOBA can put on a tour June 19-26.
FOR GOBA 2021
• March 1: Opening of registration for GOBA 2020 riders and non-riders who were deferred last year (including deferments that are transferred to another person by the original registrant). The deadline to register for GOBA 2021 using a deferment is March 31; deferments not used by then will automatically be transferred to GOBA 2022 (or GOBA 2023 if the deferral holder chooses). People who register for GOBA 2021 using a 2020 deferment have until April 30 to withdraw from GOBA 2021 and carry over their deferment to 2022 or 2023.
• March 1: GOBA 2020 registrants who donated their registration fee may register for GOBA 2021 beginning March 1 and will be charged the same registration price they paid for GOBA 2020.
• March 1: GOBA-approved volunteers may register.
• March 15: Opening of registration for new riders and non-riders (i.e., those who don’t hold 2020 deferments). New riders and non-riders might need to go on a wait-list in anticipation of more spots opening.
• March 15: Start of sales for add-on items such as apparel, camper services and vehicle permits.
• March 31: Deadline to register for GOBA 2021 using a deferment from 2020. Deferments not used by March 31 will automatically be transferred to GOBA 2022 (or GOBA 2023 if the deferral holder chooses).
• Mid-April: Deadline for GOBA to decide whether to go forward with the 2021 tour. If canceled, the deferments of 2020 registrants would be deferred to 2022 or 2023 (whichever year they prefer).
• April 30: Deadline for people who registered for GOBA 2021 using a 2020 deferment to withdraw from GOBA 2021 and carry over their deferment to 2022 or 2023 (whichever year they prefer).
• Date TBA: Registration for new riders and non-riders will close at a date to be announced. This will be determined in part on whether there are any spots that deferred 2020 registrants haven’t filled, whether there’s a waiting list for new registrants and whether health departments allow more participants.
• June 19: GOBA 2021 begins at the Shelby County Fairgrounds in Sidney, Ohio.
All plans are tentative and contingent on the pandemic and whether GOBA can put on a tour June 19-26. Please watch your email in-box and goba.com for further updates.